Congratulations, you’ve found the love of your life! Now it’s time to find the ring.
You’ve come to the right place. Designing and creating One Of A Kind (OOAK) rings is our specialty. To prepare you for the ring shopping experience, we’ve put together a list of things to think about before you start looking.
Things To Consider When Choosing An Engagement Ring
- Traditional or Contemporary — Are you and your partner drawn to a traditional aesthetic in jewelry, clothing, and design, or is contemporary more your style? Choose a ring that will complement your overall style and taste.
- Stone(s) — More engagement rings feature diamonds than any other stone. Diamonds are the hardest stone, they sparkle, and they’re beautiful—all great reasons to choose a ring with diamonds. A combination of stones can also be stunning. Whatever your preference, deciding on the stone(s) is part of the ring selection process.
- Setting — Certain settings provide a traditional look and feel. Other settings like bezel and flush offer a contemporary, more minimal aesthetic. For more about settings and why we prefer certain types at KMJ, read our blog post on settings.
- Type of Metal — Gold carries more value than silver yet silver wears well. If you imagine the ring becoming an heirloom for future generations, gold will retain better value. Another consideration: silver will likely tarnish with time.
- Size — Determining your beloved’s size may take some creativity on your part. If you’re surprising them with the ring, quietly grab a ring they wear and check the size, or have us do it for you! Or ask a best friend to do the sleuthing.
- Ring & Wedding Band Set — If your objective is to match engagement ring with wedding band, look at them together to be sure they’re what you want. The thickness (height) and width of the band affect how the band looks, how comfortable it is to wear, and how easy it is to take on and off. Infinity bands feature diamonds around the entire ring, making them impossible to resize, which is why we don’t make them.
Choosing a KMJ Engagement Ring & Wedding Band
We’re big fans of diamonds at KMJ! Several of our OOAK rings work beautifully as engagement rings and wedding bands. While you’re looking at the rings and bands in our collections, keep these things in mind:
- Our OOAK rings are unique and special—each ring is one of a kind! No other person will wear exactly the ring you choose. Several of the OOAK rings I designed this summer are especially fitting as engagement rings.
- All KMJ high-end diamond rings come with one free sizing (in case your sleuthing wasn’t accurate).
- KMJ bands feature a “comfort fit” to ensure greater wear-ability. We take extra precautions to ensure that the bands are comfortable and more forgiving to take on and off.
- If you have a stone that you want set in your engagement ring, we can repurpose the stone. Learn more about repurposing jewelry at KMJ.
- We can make or modify a KMJ ring by incorporating your stone. We can also adjust the thickness, change the setting style, or use a different metal to create a semi-custom ring. We can also create ground up custom. We have a tiered system - read more about how we work here.
Call or email if you have questions about settings, stones, or anything else related to engagement rings and wedding bands. We’d love to work with you!